The who and why of it all

My photo
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Trying different ways to optimise life health and happiness by eating real food and bulding strength. I used to have migraines every fortnight that would put me out for days. I ate a lot of sugar in it's classic sweet form and in its filling bread/pasta form. I was always tired and weak but never overweight- so I never questioned my diet. Until someone else did. Now I barely ever get migraines, I am strong and getting stronger. I am more active than I have ever been.

Wednesday, 20 April 2011

The way of it.

The reason I am here; bad skin, stomach pains, constant headaches, sinus trouble... generally feeling a bit like my health is getting worse not better. Sounds like an intolerance. So an elimination diet is the way to go, but why eat well for just one month? Why not make it a life style?



After some research, check out these if you want to understand the journey:

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

http://www.antiaginghealthzone.com/paleodiet.html

http://thepaleodiet.com

http://robbwolf.com/


I decided to try out this Paleo lifestyle. It just makes sense when you think about it. Our world has evolved so fast- food has become fast and we haven't really thought our food processes through.

It seems as though there is some disagreement on the details of Paleo, but there are core beliefs that will shape my diet.

My main goal is cutting out the main allergenic foods; dairy, wheat, glutenous grains.

The Paleolithic diet can be summarized as 5 simple rules:
1. Eat lots of produce, especially vegetables.
2. Lower the glycemic index and glycemic load of carbohydrates eaten.
3. Maximize the quality of fats eaten, with attention to the W3:W6 fatty acid ratio.
4. Limit repeated exposure to potential allergenic foods.
5. Consume an amount of calories appropriate for your level of activity.
And the sixth rule, not necessarily Paleolithic:  drink appropriate amounts of
water for your activity level and climate.
So the next step is to figure out a meal plan and buying the right food.

6 comments:

  1. nice summary, I like that you pointed out while there is some disagreement on some (even much) of the minutiae of paleo there is a general consensus on the guiding principles.

    I guess I would say two others principles could be; eliminate/reduce sugar and elimiate processed foods. Therefore, arguing that lowering the GI index is actually a byproduct of your diet rather than a goal. but in the end it is simply an alternative method of saying very simlar things - how paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lowering the GI is a goal and this is achieved by cutting out processed foods and foods high in sugar or things that turn into sugar.

    What is interesting is the combination of foods that can effect this. Such as drinking milk a few hours before a meal. This can increse the Glycemic Index of other foods even when your load was small.

    The goal is to reduce GI the method is to reduce and eliminate the foods that course this.

    Thanks for your post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hrm, I admit you are very persuasive...but i still see low GI as a goal only if your intention is to lose weight. By eliminating grains and reducing sugar (because of a goal to improve health gewnerally) you will by de-facto have a fairly low GI diet anyway. (unless you deliberately set out to eat a tonne of fruit each day - lol).

    I would argue GI is in fact something some should deliberately manipulate to be high on occasion. For example, a high GI protein based snack immediately following any intense exercise. This will quickly boost blood sugars and protein uptake and therefore improve muscular and CNS recovery time. Obviously low GI is preferential for the remainder of the day.

    That said, i do find the affect food combination can have on GI very interesting. and will definitely contemplate its effect from now on.

    For me, an alternative 5 point framework for this diet could be:

    1. eliminate sugar
    2. eliminate gluten grains and limit non gluten grains
    3. eat nutritionally dense foods such as animals (inc fish) and vegetables over (largely) empty carbs (i.e. rice and pasta)
    4. Maximize the quality of fats eaten (i.e. favour grass fed animals, wild fish and eliminate grain/seed based oils).
    5. Limit repeated exposure to other allergenic foods such as legumes (i.e. beans) and lactose dairy (i.e. milk and soft cheese)

    I believe ultimately this would achieve a very similar diet to your own 5 points. however, I have clearly taken the gi calorie awareness out of the equation. I believe this would mean less need for calorie counting or measuring your nutrient profile making the food selection aspect easier as you could simply focus on foods that fit the guidelines therefore making it easier to follow.

    I have also suggested more of an emphasis on meat and fish in conjunction with vegetables alongside a deliberate reduction in sugar. The satiating affect of protein from meat and fish would reduce hunger and therefore inhibit calorie intake as well as allowing fuel for muscle growth/retention. And deliberate reduced sugar focus (as opposed to low GI focus) would provide low GI (for weight loss and allergenic goals) but allow for a deliberate spiking of GI when desired (if an athlete)

    what do you think - too similar to yours, crazy, better or just plain rubbish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think they are the same. Which is s good thing. It is just about which way round you are thinking about it.

    I want to be healthier- my one and only goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as ever, i bow to your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete