The who and why of it all

My photo
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Trying different ways to optimise life health and happiness by eating real food and bulding strength. I used to have migraines every fortnight that would put me out for days. I ate a lot of sugar in it's classic sweet form and in its filling bread/pasta form. I was always tired and weak but never overweight- so I never questioned my diet. Until someone else did. Now I barely ever get migraines, I am strong and getting stronger. I am more active than I have ever been.

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Cheating

I haven't really dedicated a blog entry to how awesome I now feel. By the way... I feel awesome. You can see from my diet diary I have not had a migraine in over 2 weeks now :-) that is HUGE for me. I dropped 4 kilos very fast- I am pretty skinny already- but that little stubborn fat around the belly just disappeared in like a week of eating primal/paleo/whatevs. People are saying my skin looks good (even without the knowledge of the diet change) however I am very critical and think it could be better still. NO tummy probs at all. So yes 33 days and feeling good.

BUT.... I have yet to cheat (well maybe a little- but my definition of cheat). I have been really thinking about this concept of cheating. To cheat or not to cheat. What is a cheat. I have read some others interpretations on the net, some being very strict and would probably consider some things in my paleo/primal/whatevs diet a cheat, and others that consider a pepperoni pizza and ice cream a cheat. So this is how Suze sees it (yes, yes lame reference!).

1. The Fail- something like a slice of toast, dumplings, ice cream, pizza, pasta, biscuits, lollies, a cadburys cream egg (mmmmm)- all the agents of disease.

2. The Cheat- some extra fruit, honey, paleo muffins or banana bread, a heavy starch meal- with rice or potato. Hard cheese or natural yogurt, dates, paleo apple crumble etc.

MASSIVE difference in my eyes. The fail could send me spiralling back, give me a migraine, bugger up my sleep, change me from the fat burning place that my body is at. The cheat would be a day where the carb intake was a bit higher that usual- no grains, no legumes, not massive spikes in sugar intake (I am talking only a tbl spoon of honey in a loaf of banana bread as a cheat!).

But on this note, tonight I am.... taking a FAIL! Dumplings with my friends. I am a bit afraid of how my body will react and if I will start craving sugar. But it is a good n=1 experiment. I just hope I do not get a migraine. Wish me luck or call me an idiot, but is on.

1 comment:

  1. Guess what... the dumplings tasted awful. I was recommending that place to everyone a few months back! My favourite food! And now... awful. What has happened to my taste buds! I was so depressed when I got home :-( Oh well, I suppose it is a good thing. Better than still loving them and never being able to eat them!!

    ReplyDelete