The who and why of it all

My photo
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Trying different ways to optimise life health and happiness by eating real food and bulding strength. I used to have migraines every fortnight that would put me out for days. I ate a lot of sugar in it's classic sweet form and in its filling bread/pasta form. I was always tired and weak but never overweight- so I never questioned my diet. Until someone else did. Now I barely ever get migraines, I am strong and getting stronger. I am more active than I have ever been.

Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Autoimmune 30 day challenge

The migraines have indeed improved. I get them them same frequency but not as intense, it is like I get the warning signs and then the beginning but then... it goes away! I used to ALWAYS end up laid in bed with an icepack on my head for 2 days!

SO something is working. I had an awful anti-paleo weekend, full of sugar, grains and alcohol. And of course I felt awful for days- belly is still not right! I wanted to try out the foods I used to love. They taste weird and sugary now. I'll have to find new favourites!

Anyway, I have decided to go almost full elimination. I've been reading all I can on foods that can lead to migraines- many of them. Interestingly I have also read that my Raynauds may be linked to my migraines- and a bit more scary these are sometimes secondary to an autoimmune. Mum has MS, Nan had Alz. hmmm. BUT it could be primary Raynauds. So full autoimmune paleo for 30 days and then I will start reintroducing foods one by one. It takes a while to find the diet that works for you!

I have cut out; grains, refined sugar, legumes, dairy, nightshades, onions/garlic, fungus (mushys), beef, nuts and eggs.

Leaving me with tubers, green veggies, carrots, lamb, pork, chicken and fish.

Not much to go on! but I'll make it work- I really hope I can eat beef, eggs, nightshades, onions and dairy!

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. good luck!

    out of all the things you have cut, which would you least mind having to eliminate for good (assuming you are going to cut the normal paleo things anyway)???

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. this is a recent entry in "Seth's Blog" on a woman seeking environmental triggers for her migraines following zero help from the medical establishment.

    http://blog.sethroberts.net/2011/08/02/the-comments-on-finding-the-source-of-migraines/

    she did find an answer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno, I like all those foods... I have done okay without dairy? It would be good it it was something like lactose and then I could have some ghee and other low lactose foods. It will be a pain if it is onions or nightshades... I suppose nightshades wouldn't be so bad, expect for chips! Eggs would be a bit devastating! as would beef... I like steak.

    I remember Gran said to cut out milk and beef for my Raynauds years ago! Typical old people always right! Well possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.p.s. its interesting how her story parallels yours...to a point. She started getting migraines a little prior to starting college and more than once a week she would need to stay in bed in complete darkness. pain killers didnt work and the only relief was sleep. Sound familiar?

    her story diverges from yours after this..through the GP she tried drugs (50 types), MRI's CAT scans, changing her birth control (13 types). None worked and ultimately she gave up on medicine and stopped all drugs.

    after internet research she decided that chemical products could be a trigger and purged her house of any products with any of the following:

    1. Sodium lauryl sulfate (a foaming agent).
    2. Methyl and ethyl parraben (preservatives).
    3. Artificial fragrances.

    her migraines massively reduced (but didnt dissappear). Some months later a nautropath noted from the girls records that there was a link between periods and migraine attacjs. a saliva test then indicated her progesterone levels were really low.

    after taking measures to increase progesterone (a topical cream), her migraines faded even more.

    fascinating, maybe we could do elimination of household chemicals too? go old school with white vinegar, bi carb soda etc for cleaning duties!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lactose wouldnt be too bad - as long as we could still do butter, cream. I could live without cheese and milk too.

    if it was lactose there'd still be hope for A2 dairy/ raw dairy/goat dairy. so could actuallly still try to see if subsitutes would work.

    no chips!!!devastating, even if we cooked them in delicious lard

    ReplyDelete