The who and why of it all

My photo
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Trying different ways to optimise life health and happiness by eating real food and bulding strength. I used to have migraines every fortnight that would put me out for days. I ate a lot of sugar in it's classic sweet form and in its filling bread/pasta form. I was always tired and weak but never overweight- so I never questioned my diet. Until someone else did. Now I barely ever get migraines, I am strong and getting stronger. I am more active than I have ever been.

Sunday, 25 September 2011

Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:

Some veggies- I used red cabbage, aubergine and zuchini this time but in the past I have used: broccoli, asparagus, carrots, other cabbage, green beans etc.

Leek- or onion based thing
Garlic- if you wish
Delicious grass fed grain free pres free sasuages- any sausage you want really
Tinned toms- Low carbers could replace with a stock?
Butter- preferably grass fed happy butter
Sweet Potato- For the top- Low carbers could replace with a lower carb root veg or even aubergine slices!
Cheese- Just a bit and again happy skippy grass fed cow cheese

Method

You can see in the photo above that you literally chop up cabbage and place in casserole dish- easy.

 Then you chop up your other veggies and place on top,

 Fry onion/garlic in butter then add sausages and brown to seal

 Add tinned toms or stock and cook until reduced to kind of a yummy sauce with sausage lumps in! I am thinking of adding some chopped spinach at this point next time- just came to me.

 Pour yummy sausage sauce over veggies.

Finely slice sweet potato- or whatever you are topping it with- and layer on top.

  

Then brush top with melted butter. We then grated on some cheese- not neccessary but tastes awesome!


And then place in oven at 180c for about 30-40 min depending on how crispy you like the top.
  

Devour!

Yes that's Johnny in the back ground. He was very hungry... as usual :-)

Anyway, mess around with this recipe it can be done many ways and produces some yummy results. I think the dish really relies on quality sausages, ours were amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment